Lost and Found in Bolivia

Chronicles of Rachel's Peace Corps service in Bolivia as an Agriculture Extension volunteer.  I hope not to get too lost during my 27 months, but I have a feeling I'm going to find some things.  Enjoy the stories!

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Hello again

Well after just 13 days in site, I'm back in the city buying seeds and supplies to help get some family gardens started.  The lack of seeds seems to be the major limiting factor for vegetable production (and hence, consumption) in my ...so it seems I've found my primary project:  seed saving!  I still have a lot of learning about the subject to do, but it's nice to feel like I have some sort of guiding force to my work.  For now, I'm stuck buying seeds that will give plants (important, yes) but won't help the community be self-sufficient in terms of seed supply, but I've come across some organizations that will maybe donate organic seeds that can be open-pollinated.  This sort of food/farm justice is my passion...so you can imagine how exciting it is for me to maybe be working directly on a project to fight the big seed/ag conglomerates in favor of grassroots-level organization.

The past almost two weeks held two main activities.  The first was the planting of vegetables in the community (but run by the school) farm.  It was not my project, but that of some ingenieros...who I have to admit have their hearts in
 the right place, and were not as bad as some that I've described in the past.  
They did a great job teaching about double-digging, and set the stage for me to do compost piles in the schools, for sure, since they stressed the importance of adding organic matter to the soil.  It was great fun making these raised beds and planting with the kids...unfortunately since that time, the gallinas (hens) basically ate all the plants.  They did leave us with seeds and the plants in the greenhouse are safe, so we will have transplants soon.  Now if we could just kick the parents into gear (caring for the farm is their responsibility) to get them to really make a good fence.

The second thing was the campeonato.  Since schools have been on vacation nation-wide ("winter" vacation), I guess this is when they have the traveling sports competitions.  Three neighboring municipalities (kind of like big counties or districts I guess) travelled to my lovely town to compete in soccer, running, volleyball and basketball.  There was also a beauty pageant at the closing ceremonies (duh, this is Bolivia after all...we love beauty pageants!)  The town was full of strangers, which made being a gringa difficult once again...everyone in my town, save a few, know that I belong there and don't need to be cat-called, but unfortunately the visitors did not know.  In any case, I had fun loitering in the crowds, cheering on my teams, etc.  The municipalities rotate years hosting, so I was lucky to be here in a year when we were hosting.  People really went all-out making food to sell, they know an economic opportunity when they see one (triple the people?  all hungry? yes!).
In a few weeks I'll be seeing my training buddies for almost 3 weeks, in Cochabamba (how I missed that city!), when we have our reunion, project meetings, diagnostic presentations, and language training (I need someone to correct all the lazy habits I've acquired deep in the valles cruceños).  Until then, enjoy summer in the U.S., or wherever you are...this girl misses raspberries and corn on the cob like none other!
Post below this is my attempt at making a slideshow of images of my town (as requested)...I wanted to have it as its own object, but I will have to save that for another trip I suppose.

3 comments:

Gma said...

Hi - Kevin is home and showed me how to do this (duh!) I was too dumm to do it on my own. Enjoying your news. Were the gummy things edible? Gotta go make that macaroni salad -- miss you! Love, Gma

Flaming Curmudgeon said...

As your grandma says, I am home and I am so proud of her being able to post a comment. Let's see if she can remember the next time! We had corn on the cob for dinner. I am only saying that to make you jealous because you mentioned corn on the cob. I love the plantings and the fact that the hens ate everything because the people don't want to build a fence. We don't think of these things here in gringo-land where home depot is all over the place and one doesn't even have to build a fence, just buy one! We will have macaroni salad in your honor on Friday. No, I shan't send you some, something tells me it would not be biologically sensible!

Unknown said...

hey ra,
glad to hear you are getting moving! and i love hearing about your grass roots passions! how fun the tourneys must have been too! <3