Lost and Found in Bolivia

Chronicles of Rachel's Peace Corps service in Bolivia as an Agriculture Extension volunteer.  I hope not to get too lost during my 27 months, but I have a feeling I'm going to find some things.  Enjoy the stories!

Friday, February 15, 2008

Flooding, keep bolivians in your thoughts

Ok, so Bolivia may not be the best known country in the world, but I think it's ridiculous that I had to search so hard to find news about the flooding that's displacing tens of thousands of people in the amazonian regions of the country. Note: we and the other volunteers are safe, the worst is in a department known as Beni, where Peace Corps does not work (though i think we should do crisis corps there, every year the flooding gets worse). Check out the following, I feel obligated to spread awareness because this is absolutely sad and scary. Many people haven't died, but a LOT of livestock has been left to fend for itself, setting the country up for a compounded food crisis for loss of crops and quickly escalating meat prices (and there's the inflation as well!). I don't know if there's an easy way to donate funds, but I know some aid organizations are helping out. If you can, please donate or at least spread the awareness...this country and people are so beautiful and do not deserve to be ignored.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7243970.stm
http://www.reliefweb.int/rw/RWB.NSF/db900SID/SKAI-7BULXQ?OpenDocument

1 comment:

JSL said...

It's true, I had not heard about this. BBC says Santa Cruz is involved, too; I would suppose that Beni has a bigger indigenous pop, so is more vulnerable. Tell us more about your weather up in the mountains!