Lost and Found in Bolivia

Chronicles of Rachel's Peace Corps service in Bolivia as an Agriculture Extension volunteer.  I hope not to get too lost during my 27 months, but I have a feeling I'm going to find some things.  Enjoy the stories!

Monday, February 4, 2008

Superbowl en Bolivia

GOAAAALLLLL!!!! Is how the Spanish language broadcaster reacts when there is a fieldgoal in the Superbowl. Not that it’s the wrong reaction, but it’s clearly a crossover from “real” football (that is, soccer). After a day in our respective host family homes, we had a superbowl party where we got to speak English and watch familiar players on TV. The similarities basically stopped there. No beer (showing that we can be responsible PCT’s), no American commercials (the ones I noticed seemed to be the same people in a car to advertise a car sale, then drinking juice to advertise that…I think they were the newscasters), and the regional specialty called pico macho (not sure about that spelling). Pico macho is, I believe, hot dogs and beef all cooked up with French fries. It’s not potatoes, it’s actually French fries. They also show up in soup, and on plates with rice and pasta. We had the French fries separate from the meats, which I appreciated. Oh and Coke made with sugar, not corn syrup, and other fruity sodas. Was really fun to hear everyone’s embarrassing moments and “awww” moments from their first 24 hours with a new family… a great party in spite of (or because of) the departure from the normal. I wish I had the blue couch though…

My host family rocks, I am not roughing it at all (this will make the transition to my inevitably rustic rural site more difficult, but I am not complaining about my sweet set up). My host mom is very kind and well known in the community, just like another awesome mom I know J. I have an 18-year old sister, and brothers aged 16 and 12. My host father is also nice, very into spending time with the family when he can. They all speak slowly and clearly for me, though they claim my Spanish is very good (I have trouble believing that’s not an exaggeration). My favorite thing is that they will say “Raquel” clearly when they want to say something to me, and then make sure that I understand what they are saying as they go along. We also have 2 dogs, in very good shape, and a cat who had 5 kittens my first night here! They’re too small to be cute fuzzballs yet…but soon. I went to the market today with my host mom, we bought a lot of fresh veggies and fruits. She even asked if there were soy products around (no luck). This family eats very differently than others…more veggies, fewer carbs and meats. I shouldn’t have a problem being vegetarian here. My room is nice…just wish it was closer to the bathroom. To get to the bathroom, I have to go downstairs and out a door into the separate bathroom, passing the dogs which are nice but a little crazy, and if it’s night time I have to turn on a bunch of lights which might wake the others (but there’s a shower and toilet, so I am psyched!).

About not being sick…haha that only lasted for a few days. There’s something living in my intestines, but it’s not serious, just a little uncomfortable. We’re very well taken care of if anything should become a problem…there’s a 24 hour on-duty medical cellphone to call, plus a great med kit...better stocked than my own medicine cabinet ever was.

More seriously, I am starting to get homesick, even as I am surrounded by such a caring host family and group of fellow trainees (we all live in the same community, I have one next door, another around the corner, etc). It’s hard to handle so many differences at once…language, people, culture, food. Of course it will cycle through good and bad many times when I am here, but I think I’m beginning my first low in the culture shock graph that we’ve been shown (low points happen at specific times, I’m pretty much by the book, being sick giving me an early onset). Some friends and I have a yoga session planned for later, I think that will be a good thing. I hope all of you reading are well, I am dying to hear some news, mundane or otherwise, from your lives. Drop me a quick email or letter, I’d love it! Cell phone number may be to come soon (mucho dinero for you, but doesn’t cost me to receive calls).

No comments: